- "You must use the bow only in great need, for I do not mean you to fight in the battle. It does not easily miss."
- ―Father Christmas [src]
Queen Susan's bow was a magical bow owned by Queen Susan the Gentle.
It is often thought to have been magical, though the truth of that claim is debated. It is for certain, however, that the bow was disinclined to miss anything at which it shot.
The bow was accompanied by a horn and a quiver of arrows.
In the films; the bow is a short, gold-coloured, curved bow, made from ash wood.
The arrows are, apparently, made of the same ash wood, with red feathers at the back end, and ivory tips at the front.
HistoryThe bow and arrows were given to Queen Susan in 1000 NY by Father Christmas, near the end of the Long Winter, along with the Horn. She used it briefly during the First Battle of Beruna.
Afterwards, it is likely she used it a great deal while hunting, and possibly in battle when the need arose for it.
In 1015 NY, when Queen Susan vanished from Narnia, her bow and arrows were placed in the Treasure Room of Cair Paravel, and when she returned to Narnia 1,300 years later, she found the items still there.
Later, Susan attempted to shoot a bear with her bow, but was unsuccessful (due to the fact that she was unsure whether or not it was a Narnian bear).
| Movie-based Information|
Film AdaptationIn the Disney/Walden film of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Susan practices with this bow while at Aslan's camp, and uses at least two arrows. She also later uses it to dispatch Ginarrbrik.
In the film version of Prince Caspian, Susan shoots two arrows at the Telmarines, but does not shoot at the bear. She also does not compete with Trumpkin.
She does, however, use her bow a great deal more overall. First, she takes part in the Night Raid on Miraz's Castle, where she shoots down multiple soldiers. She later escapes the Narnian camp, and shoots four soldiers before returning to battle and killing many more.
- Actress Anna Popplewell, who portrayed Susan, noted that her kill-count in the Prince Caspian (Disney movie) was higher than that of several of her male co-stars.
- In Prince Caspian, as Susan fights in the Battle of Aslan's How, she is seen shooting down many Telmaraine soldiers as well as knocking two of them out by striking them with her bow.
- In the film version of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Lucy uses it while fighting the sea serpent.
- It seems as though Susan's quiver, which holds her arrows and bow, when not in use, is also enchanted. When Father Christmas gives Susan her gifts, the quiver appears to have only a few. But it could be possible that the quiver is enchanted so that it never runs out of arrows. It is quite noticeable, when you look at the arrows in the quiver very closely, you can see at least 7-9 arrows inside.
- See also Archery.
- See also Bow and arrows.