Jadis' Courtyard was an area of the castle, in which Jadis, the White Witch, lived during her reign that was known to all as the Age of Winter.
When Edmund betrayed his family by going to Jadis, he entered the courtyard and saw that it was full of stone figures. One of the first statues he saw was that of a lion, which he mistook for Aslan, believing that Jadis had already dealt with him.
The next time the courtyard was visited was when Aslan entered with Susan and Lucy. Aslan ordered the two, and later the creatures he brought back to life, to search the rest of the castle to find more statues, while he used his breath to restore those who had been turned to stone back to life. These Narnians then went on to join the fight at the First Battle of Beruna.
Known Statues in the Courtyard
- Boars (only in film)
- Cat (only in book)
- Dragon-like creature (a long lithe creature (only mentioned in the book))
- Dryads (only in the book, the animated film and the BBC adaptations)
- Fauns (Mr. Tumnus)
- Giant (Rumblebuffin)
- Gryphons (only in the Film adaptaion)
- Kangaroo (only in book)
- Lion ( a Lioness in the disney film)
- Minotaurs (only in the animated film adaptation)
- Red Dwarves
- Rhinoceros (only in film adaptation)
- Spirit of Trees
- Tiger (a winged and a horned one (only in the animated film))
- Wolves (ones that were not part of The Secret Police)
- Zebra (book only)
| Movie-based Information|
In the 2005 film adaption, when Edmund came into the Courtyard, the lion he saw was that of a lioness. He then took a slab of charcoal, and drew a pair of comical spectacles and a moustache on the face of it.
Some time later, when Jadis chose to hunt the rest of Edmund's siblings herself, she had Edmund come with her. As he walked through the courtyard to her sleigh, he saw Mr. Tumnus there, also turned to stone.