The Emperor-beyond-the-Sea (also called the Emperor-over-the-sea) is the father of Aslan.
Over the Sea
The Emperor-beyond-the-sea created the Deep Magic from the Dawn of Time and The Deeper Magic from Before the Dawn of Time, both of which came to culmination in Aslan's death and resurrection. The Deep Magic is engraved upon the Emperor's sceptre.
Relationship with Aslan
- ""Oh, Aslan! Can't we do something about the Deep Magic? Isn't there something you can work against it?"
"Work against the Emperor's Magic?" said Aslan, turning to her with something like a frown on his face. And nobody ever made that suggestion to him again."
- ―Susan and Aslan [src]
Although Aslan was more of an immediate presence to Narnia than the Emperor, he and his father worked in perfect unity. The Emperor was often referred to as "Aslan's great Father, the Emperor-over-the-sea" and other such titles. He was greatly respected by his son and all who honoured the Lion.
It is unknown how he sired Aslan. It could be that he simply created Aslan.
- The Emperor-beyond-the-Sea is the Narnian name for the Christian God the Father, and Aslan (the Emperor's son) is called Jesus Christ on Earth. In the same way, the Emperor's Deep Magic (comparable to the Law given to Moses on Earth) is completed and fulfilled by the death of his son Aslan (the Narnian version of Christ's crucifixion).
- The Emperor is mentioned in five of the seven novels, missing only in The Silver Chair and, notably, The Magician's Nephew, but he does not appear in any of them.
- The Emperor-beyond-the-Sea has yet to be mentioned in any film adaptations.
- In The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Jadis states that the Emperor was the one who put the Deep Magic into Narnia at the beginning (and Aslan agrees), but in The Magician's Nephew Aslan brings Narnia to life, and the Deep Magic is not mentioned. It is possible that the Emperor was working through his son to create Narnia, and that the creation itself was the Deep Magic. It is also possible that the creation of Narnia and the beginning of the Deep Magic were separate, although they occurred simultaneously.